24/7 MOMS

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Family - Forever Changed

by: Trisha Novotny
24/7 MOMS

"This is my passion, it was what I was meant to do." -- Erin Eachus -Reed

September 29, 2005 was a day that forever changed my family - I remember vividly that early morning when my Mom who had arrived the night prior for a visit came into my room and said "Trisha, the police are at your door".

As a mom of 5 kids I quickly took inventory of my children's whereabouts in my head and then I thought the dog got out. Why would a police officer bring my dog back home? no idea why that was my thinking, but in the middle of the night that is what went through my head. I was not prepared for what I was about to hear when I walked down my stairs to answer the door.

I peered out my side window to see two figures standing on my porch a Police officer and what looked like one of my sister Erin's best friends, as I opened the door I knew at that moment that I was about to receive life changing news.

As I heard the words " There has been an accident a NW Airlift Helicopter has gone down and your sister Erin was on board". I looked at the two figures on my porch in disbelief and said something like "no, you are wrong she was not at work, how do you know it was her on board?" not wanting to accept the now life changing news I wanted to convince them they were wrong and they should find another family to share this horrific news with.

On September 29 2005 our family lost a daughter, a sister, a aunt, a friend, a nurse, a mentor, a hero.

When a family losses a member of their team it's like playing a baseball game without a pitcher. It doesn't matter how many players ( siblings) we have on the field or how great our coaches (parents) are we are no longer a complete Team we are missing a valuable part of our Team and we have to find a way and reason to continue the game of life.

Erin lived her life with intention and passion. She taught me that "I can't" was not to be part of my vocabulary, that life wasn't all about ME but about others and how we needed to make a difference in the lives of others. Erin was my big sister my Hero.

Over the past five years we have all felt the loss, we have all grieved differently and looked at life through a new set of glasses, we each have different memories of Erin and how she influenced our lives. Her life and death have forever changed our family by challenging us to live as she did full of passion and intention in order to make a difference in the lives around you.


"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." -- Albert Schweitzer

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Laura Marusa said...

I can't imagine hearing that kind of news. Prayers of comfort to you.

September 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger momisbestjob said...

Erin would be SO proud of you! I am SO proud of you and all that you & Steve do individually and as a couple!

September 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss I am very close to my sister and family and would be devastated.

Hugs to you and your family.

September 29, 2010 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I am so sorry for your loss Trisha. My prayers are with your family today.

September 29, 2010 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger StuffSmart said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing with us. You're sister would be proud of you for continuing and for sharing her story.

September 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger ankita said...

The visit was useful. Content was really very informative. From www.giftsflowersosaka.com.

September 30, 2010 at 3:38 AM  
Blogger The 4-Crows Blog said...

Tricia, Thank you for sharing this story. At times-like right now- I am having a very difficult time with some of my sister's decisions. I know that I must separate the dislike of the situation from the love that I have for her. Jesus certainly did, didn't He? Thank you for giving me this perspective this morning. Your sister would be so proud of you and the impact you have on different people's lives throughout the country! God Bless!

September 30, 2010 at 5:43 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

We are so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your sister looks down on you and your family with love and pride every day.
~Samantha
Have Sippy Will Travel

September 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

What a beautiful post in honor of your sister.

September 30, 2010 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss, to you and your family. God Bless you all each and every day, and especially the days when you need it most.

October 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home